New Year, new updates! We are glad to announce you that we started New Year with few new updates. The major update we did in our CheetahO API was image resize functionality. Now CheetahO will be able not even to compress images but also resize/rescale image dimensions.
Everytime website editors upload images to website, the website generates thumbnails. That’s fine if editor choose the correct thumbnail to his post. We noticed that often editors make the mistake and add original images to their posts. These images take a lot of hosting space and also a lot of time to load for user. This is bad practice and do not help to get higher post ranking in search engines. So thats why we strongly recommend to resize uploaded original images.
Cheetaho Image Resizing API is great for creating thumbnails or preview images for your applications. First of all Cheetaho will resize the given image and then optimize it. The resize option needs a few parameters to be passed, such as the desired width and/or height, as well as a mandatory strategy property.
So how Image resize/rescale functionality works?
Images resized using the portrait, landscape or auto strategies will never be enlarged if the supplied width or height parameters are greater than the dimensions of the input image.
The strategy property can have one of the following values:
- Exact – Resize to exact width and height. Aspect ratio will not be maintained.
- Portrait – Exact height will be set, width will be adjusted according to aspect ratio (auto width).
- Landscape – Exact width will be set, height will be adjusted according to aspect ratio (auto height).
- Fit – This option will crop and resize your images to fit the desired width and height:
- Crop – This option will crop an image to the exact size you specify.
- Auto – The best strategy (portrait or landscape) will be selected according to its aspect ratio.
If you are not sure which option is better for you, please choose one image and test it with each option. Keep Image backup, in case you are not pleased with the resize results. Our WordPress plugin at this moment resize image using Auto strategy.